Leadership Lessons from Geese
Lessons From Geese is a metaphorical concept that compares the teamwork and leadership of geese to those of humans. The concept is based on observations of geese during their migratory flights, and how they work together in a V-formation to make their journey easier and more efficient. Here are some of the key learnings from the Lessons From Geese:
- Communication is key: Geese honk to communicate with one another while flying, and this honking serves as a way to encourage each other to keep going. Similarly, communication is critical in teamwork and leadership, and it’s important to have open and honest communication to keep everyone on the same page.
- Shared leadership: In a V-formation, the lead goose rotates regularly, showing that shared leadership is important for the success of the group. Similarly, in a team, different members can take on leadership roles depending on the situation, which can help to build trust and respect among team members.
- Trust and support: Geese fly in a V-formation because it allows them to draft off one another and reduce wind resistance, making their journey easier. Similarly, in a team, it’s important to trust and support one another to achieve shared goals and objectives.
- Encouragement and motivation: Geese honk to encourage one another to keep going, and this serves as a way to provide motivation and support. In a team, it’s important to provide positive feedback and encouragement to keep everyone motivated and engaged.
- Perseverance: Geese fly long distances during their migration, and they don’t stop until they reach their destination. Similarly, in a team, it’s important to persevere and keep pushing forward even when faced with challenges and obstacles.
To learn more about the Lessons From Geese and its applications in teamwork and leadership, check out these resources:
- Lessons From Geese: https://www.liberatingstructures.com/2-lessons-from-geese/
- Geese Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfOZLh5bEk
- A Leadership Fable: https://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Geese-Leadership-Fable/dp/1558532193
It is essential to remember that teamwork happens inside and outside of business life when it is continually nurtured and encouraged.
Lesson 1 – The Importance of Achieving Goals.
Lesson 2 – The Importance of Team Work.
Lesson 3 – The Importance of Sharing.
Lesson 4 – The Importance of Empathy and Understanding.
Lesson 5 – The Importance of Encouragement.
Teambuilding Australia uses both an indoor keynote presentation and a series of experiential team problem activities to anchor the key learnings. Wanting to understand about the connection between a great team and how birds fly and their formation, then learn about Lessons from Geese.